Procedures, standards, and best practices for three common metallurgical tests will be covered during this 1.5-day course. The course will be held at Secat’s Lexington laboratory and the instruction will be provided with both lectures and hands-on demonstrations. Tensile testing (ASTM E8), hardness testing (ASTM E18) and optical emission spectroscopy (ASTM E1251) are the three tests that will be covered. The course is primarily focused on testing of steel and aluminum but is applicable to other metal systems. This course is applicable for quality technicians, quality managers, metallurgists, and lab managers.
- Understanding when and why each test is performed
- Equipment used to perform tests
- Knowledge of relevant industry standards for each test (focus on ASTM, provide ISO equivalents)
- Review best practices and tips for ensuring accurate testing with hands on demonstrations
- Brief overview of sampling rate, gage capabilities, and uncertainty
- Certification of results and ethical responsibilities